Friday, May 04, 2007

Oh yeah, I'm good

The ever wise-beyond-her-years GGC posted about being a good parent and has encouraged the rest of us to do the same.

I'm a good mom. There, I said it. I don't know why it's so hard for all us to say, but it's true. Dylan is a wonderful kid and Dave and I are his favorite people in the world. There must be a reason for that. There must be a reason for the smiles I get and the unsolicited "Mommy, I love you." and hugs and big sloppy kisses.


There must be a reason the boy wants to snuggle with me every morning. There must be a reason, beyond his biology, for his well-mannered behavior, his politeness, his comfort in his own skin.

I want everything for him. Everything I had and didn't have. Everything I never knew I wanted until I had my own. I want him to have boundaries yet feel confident enough to push them. I want him to have pride yet be humble. I want him to know that no matter what, we are always in his corner. I work hard to do these things for him everyday and that makes me a great mom.

I love the mom I am. I am a fun, silly, get down on the floor and roll around type of mom and I am an authoritative type of mom. Somehow I can flip-flop between the two without confusing or alienating my child. Somehow I have found the balance that keeps my kid fun and goofy and loving yet respectful and disciplined all at the same time.

I'm a great mom because in four years, I have never raised my voice out of anger. I have never struck out in any way shape or form, I have put him first. He knows that if we leave, we come back. That if we say something will happen (be it reward or consequence) it will happen. I believe this makes him confident. Most of all, Dylan is a happy child and knows he is loved to pieces. And that, alone, tells me I'm doing something right.

No comments: