Thursday, March 29, 2007

Invisible

Lately I feel completely and totally invisible. Like if I disappeared tomorrow, no one would really notice.

It seems what I want is always out of reach and what I desire is being yanked away and the end result is feeling like I don't matter at all and am invisible.

In 10 days I turn 30. I have no problem with turning 30. Don't really care. What I do care about, and what's leading to feeling so invisible, is that no one else seems to care either. I have planned countless parties for friends. 30th birthday parties, 29th birthday parties, etc. With the exception of 1 bridal shower and 1 baby shower, no one has ever planned anything for me or even offered. And now, it hurts. When my husband turned 30 I planned his gifts from me, his parents and my parents to all fit together. I planned a surprise party 2 months in advance. When 2 of my girlfriends were turning 30 I planned their parties too. Over a month in advance to make sure everyone could make it. Well, not it's my turn and not a word has been mentioned by anyone. Don't even have dinner reservations. Happy fucking birthday to me.

I will give credit where credit is due. My mother is having a dinner for me Saturday with our family and my brother and his girlfriend are coming here for the weekend. But even that is not without some hurt feelings. Dinner is a week early because brother dear is going on vacation.

So much of my life seems to be devoted to making other people happy. To finding all the little things to help them out and make their lives a little sunnier. So much of my life is spent without sunlight or happiness and it's a side of my world I keep pretty well hidden. Over the last 15 years or so I have become really good at faking it.

There are moments of happiness here and there. Most of them involve Dylan.

There are times when I think I simply expect too much. That no one can possibly live up to this mystical set of standards I have for people. That if I just lower my expectations, I won't be disappointed. And then, when the phone never rings and the emails never ding, I won't feel quite as invisible.

No comments: